This over-the-top decadent brownie-cookie combo treat most recognize as the “Slutty Brownie” had been making waves in the food-blog-o-sphere a few weeks back. The basic formula is cookie dough base + cookie layer in the middle + brownie layer on the top.
I made the basic a little more exciting with the addition of these crazy TRIPLE-LAYER Oreos I spied at the grocery store the other day. Golden Oreo + Chocolate Cream + Golden Oreo + Strawberry Cream + Golden Oreo = Crazy Delicious Neapolitan Tastiness.
And, I used one of my most favorite birthday gifts ever – the all-ends baking pan. Great for lasagna, but perfect for brownies + cookie bars for an all-ends-lover like me + The Husband!
Prep : 20 minutes Bake : 30-35 minutes Yield : 16 bars
Brownie Layer :
10 TBSP unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups white sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/2 cup AP flour
Cookie Layer :
16 sandwich cookies [in my case I used the triple-layer neopolitan style Oreos]
Cookie Dough Layer :
1/2 cup unsalted butter [room temperature]
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups AP flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips [I used 1/2 cup white chocolate chips, 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips]
I added 1/2 cup mini marshmallows [the cereal-marshmallow kind, not the soft marshmallows in the bag] 20 minutes into baking
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Brownie Layer : In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the sugar and cocoa powder once the butter is melted. Whisk to combine and remove from heat. Add the salt, vanilla and eggs and continuously whisk until the eggs are combined. Add the flour and continue to mix. Set batter aside.
3. Cookie Layer : Cream together the butter and sugars in a mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla, making sure to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl. Add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and mix on low until everything is incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips. Set dough aside.
4. Line or grease your baking pan of choice. [a 9x9 pan works perfectly if you don't have the all-edges pan like I used]
5. Layer the cookie dough on the bottom of the pan, pressing down to form the bottom of the slutty brownies. Layer as many oreos that will fit on top of the cookie dough. No need to overlap. One single layer will do. Pour the brownie batter on top of the oreo layer and make sure it’s evenly layers on top.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes. [if adding cereal marshmallows, do so about 20 minutes into baking. if adding regular marshmallows, top the pan before baking] Test with a knife to see if the center is done. If the knife comes out clean, let the brownies rest before serving. If the knife comes out with batter still on it, allow the brownies to bake about 5 minutes more.