While I won’t turn up my nose at pretty much any baked good, I’m a huge sucker for brownies. Blondies even more so!
I had snacked on a handful of the seasonal White Chocolate Candy Corn M&M’s I recently picked up and liked them enough but knew they needed some salty crunch to balance out their chewy sweet. I think the addition of a pretzel crust along with some salted macadamia nuts finds that perfect balance between the two.
What do you think? Make these and let me know!
Pretzel Macadamia Candy Corn M&M Blondies
Prep time : 20 minutes Bake Time : 25-28 minutes Yield : 16 2″-ish square bars
Pretzel Crust : 1 stick // 8 TBSP unsalted butter, melted mixed with 1 1/2 cups pretzels [I pulsed mine in our blender until it was a good mix of pulverized crumbs and small bite-sized pieces]
3/4 cup + 2 TBSP packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 stick // 8 TBSP unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup Candy Corn M&M candies, roughly chopped
1/2 cup salted macadamia nuts, toasted + roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. For the pretzel crust: Mix butter and pretzel. Press into a prepared 9″ square pan [or line with parchment paper for easiest removal - my preferred method].
3. Bake for 10 minutes to set crust.
4. For blondies: In a medium bowl, whisk flour and baking soda until evenly distributed.
5. Cream sugar and egg in bowl of stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract and melted butter. Mix until incorporated.
6. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in thirds, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl as necessary. Mix until just combined with each addition. Add chopped M&M candies and macadamia nuts last.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan.
8. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until the top is dry and a toothpick/cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing and setting on wire rack to cool completely.
10. Cut into 16 squares. Enjoy!